In this guide, I’m going to show you different ways on how to annoy upstairs neighbors.
My soundproofing journey began a few years ago- 5 years to be precise- when Sam was born. Living in an apartment and a noisy neighborhood was my worst nightmare.
If your upstairs neighbor doesn’t keep things down up there, there are different ways you can reciprocate things.
While I won’t advocate this approach, at times, desperate times call for drastic measures.
Below are different methods on how to annoy upstairs neighbors both illegally and legally.
How Do I Tell My Neighbors Are Too Loud?
Below are some tips on how to talk to your neighbors about noise complaints without turning into enemies.
– First of all, don’t assume that they’re well aware of the fact that they’re making noise. People can get caught up in their own world during different types of celebrations and forget about what’s happening around them, resulting in excessive noise. You can avoid upsetting your neighbors by simply offering a reminder that they may want to keep the noise down.
– Also, you should provide specific examples of the types of noises that are distracting or upsetting to you. While it’s much more difficult to measure decibels than letters, giving them an accurate idea of what you’re talking about will make your problem easier for them to understand.
Hopefully, your neighbors will see your viewpoint and reduce any noise taking place outside their home.
– You can also provide an example of how you’ve impacted the peace in their lives. If they’re playing music at 3 am, chances are you’ll hear it too if it happens. Let them know that you understand the frustration of disturbing noises and ask them to return the favor by keeping things down during a reasonable time period.
– Lastly, don’t make threats or demands. Yes, having expectations may seem normal when trying to maintain a peaceful household with someone else, but really think about whether or not you’re being fair to your neighbors. If they know that you’re willing to have a civil conversation about noise, chances are they’ll be more likely to reduce the noises taking place outside their home to keep things peaceful between everyone.
What Time Should Neighbors Be Quiet?
In most states, the local ordinances prohibit loud noises between 11pm and 7am, or 8am during weekdays, and between 11pm or midnight to around 8, am or 10 am during weekends and public holidays.
However, it’s highly recommended you check with what the local laws state before making a formal complaint.
In California, a tenant cannot make noise exceeding 50 decibels at the time stipulated above.
How to Annoy Upstairs Neighbors Illegally
Disclaimer: I’m not responsible for whatever may happen as a result of implementing the illegal hacks in this section.
You could visit your neighbors and beat the crap out of them.
Break their knee caps, and you won’t ever again complain about footfalls.
You could hire kidnappers to kidnap the neighbors and drive them to another state or country or even make them disappear.
Unfortunately, this isn’t a good idea as you’ll end up spending the rest of your life behind the bar.
Send flying a ball of poop at their door. Unfortunately, they’ll sue you and end up evicted from the premises.
How to Legally Annoy Upstairs Neighbors
If you’d like to become a nightmare to your neighbor without going against the law, then below are some of the most recommended hacks for you.
1. Smear Jelly on their Doorknob
This is one of the most straightforward hacks I’ve tried that made me feel like a creepy mom. Just buy something like Solimo Petroleum Jelly White.
Apply a chunk of jelly on the neighbor’s doorknob when they go out to give the unpleasant surprise when they return.
Not only will this make unpleasant for them, but it will also make it hard for them to turn the knob and get in their apartment.
Make sure that no one else sees you doing this evil thing, or they may snitch on you. Additionally, make sure that you don’t jam the lock you’ll be in for a big surprise.
2. Noise-dispelling motors
According to an article published on South China Morning Post, a noise dispelling motor is a gadget that produces vibrations on the ceiling to rein havoc in noisy upstairs neighbors.
While this is a gadget that has become popular among Chinese flats dwellers, it could help you get even with your noisy neighbors above.
This small device includes a motor, extendable rod, cable, and Wi-Fi remote. It’ll cost you less than $25 bucks.
The devices feature a variety of motors that produce a variety of sounds and are sold by Taobao.com, one of the leading consumer-to-consumer platforms in China.
3. Play tennis/racquetball against their ceiling
If you can’t get your hands on the noise dispelling motors above, I would recommend you to get a racquet or tennis ball and play against your ceiling.
Here is what you should do.
Do a bit of investigation to find out the best time to do so.
The best time to play the racquetball would be at night when they’re asleep and directly against their bedroom floor.
If they give you sleepless nights, why not give them sleepless nights too?
By chance, if they come knocking on your door, tell them you’re practicing for an upcoming competition.
4. Knock at odd times
Everyone indeed hates that ding-dong sound of the doorbell in the middle of the night or early weekend mornings.
But if your neighbors won’t let you sleep, why should you allow the same when for them?
If they don’t often go to work early on Saturdays, then go knocking on their doors early in the morning.
No one likes getting awoken from sleep, especially early mornings.
However, make a genuine excuse when they open the door. Don’t let them suspect that you’re just fooling with them.
5. Play Loud Music
If you want to annoy your upstairs neighbors with sound, here’s what you should do.
Buy a 6-8” speaker driver- a raw speaker without the casing, along spring-loaded shower rod and a small standalone amplifier.
Use the shower road to firmly hold the speaker driver against the ceiling- directly below your neighbors’ bedroom.
If you can’t get your hands on a shower rod, use a transducer, which will help in effective sound transfer.
Either way, make sure the speaker is braced against the ceiling.
Play whatever music you like when your neighbors go to sleep. The speaker will transfer sound nicely to the room upstairs.
However, depending on the materials used to construct the ceiling, the noise could speaker to your side neighbors, resulting in more troubles for you.
6. Loud Sex at Night
I’ve never tried this technique, but I have a strong feeling that it’s has a 50/50 chance of success.
Who knows, you may end up getting even with your noisy neighbors. See this guide on quiet bed frames.
Can You Call Police About Noise?
Yes, you can call the police about the noise.
The police can help with noise disputes. The police must receive an official report about the problem and will investigate if there is a valid complaint.
When someone calls about noise, each case is handled on its own merits and may not result in any action if the noise isn’t particularly loud or disturbing.
However, if you call the police to report noise and they visit and find that it’s really bothering people (and potentially illegal), they may come back later and bring someone with them who can issue fines.
If you have an ongoing problem, you can also talk to your local council about what actions they might take under the relevant bylaws.
Device To Annoy Upstairs Neighbors
A ceiling vibrator is a device used to annoy upstairs neighbors.
The ceiling vibrator unleashes vibrations to the upstairs neighbor floor when it’s attached to your ceiling.
This small device is powerful and comes with a motor, extendable rod, WI-FI remote, and a cable and costs less than $200 on the Alibaba website.
Ways on How You Can Make A Noisy Upstairs Neighbor Quiet
It’s vital to note that the above methods won’t solve your noise problem.
If you want to keep the noise down in your apartment without going the revenge way, here is what you should do.
- Let your neighbors know that they are being noisy. There’s a chance that your neighbors aren’t aware they are being loud. Approach your neighbors and politely let them know that they’re being noisy.
- If you’ve tried the above method and doesn’t seem to work, it’s time to involve the landlord/property manager. Your neighbors will be notified and probably given a warning.
- Soundproof the ceiling– you’d better off soundproofing your room against airborne and structure-borne noises. This is one of the effective methods.
- If you’ve had a chat with neighbors and seem to be friendly people, try and convince them to buy some fluffy and thick carpets as they are known to effectively soundproof against impact noises such as footfalls.
Final Thoughts on How to Annoy Upstairs Neighbors
Above are some of the effective methods on how to annoy upstairs neighbors.
And while revenge may seem like the only option, it’s important to note that it won’t solve anything the noise problem.
If you’d like to deal with the noise problem, consider talking to your neighbors and letting them know they’re being noisy.
You can also involve the property manager or even soundproof your apartment against airborne and impact sounds.