Metal vs wood bed frame: A bed is essential furniture to have in your bedroom.
When it comes to beds the competition is always metal vs wood bed frames.
When choosing a bed, it is always good to look for something that will blend with your interior perfectly and meet your needs.
There are many types of beds in the market; some made of metal and other wood frames.
Both options come with pros and cons, so it is up to you to choose.
If you are planning to purchase a new bed, this article will guide you in selecting the best one.
Also read on: the best bed frames for sexually active couples)
Metal vs Wood Bed Frame Detailed Comparison
Advantages of Metal Bed Frames
- Metal frames are more durable, and once you buy it, you will take long before replacing it, unlike the wooden frames.
- This is because they cannot get damaged by pests and insects or water. It also requires less maintenance, so you will not incur a lot of costs once you buy it.
- Metal bed frames are versatile and come in different styles and which means that you will always find one that will suit your bedroom; they also a wide range of finishing that can suit different types of bedrooms.
They also come in different colors to choose which compliments your bedroom.
- Most metal bed frames are solid and can accommodate any amount of weight.
- Here is a list of the Best bed frames for overweight person
Even when you sleep several people on the same bed, it can withstand the weight.
You can use the bed for many years without breaking or wearing out.
- Metal can be molded into different shapes to give a beautiful footboard and an elegant headboard making your bedroom has a classic look.
- Metal frames are light and easily portable compared to wooden ones. Thus it is easy to reposition them when need be.
- Some metal frames are adjustable, which makes them ideal if you are planning to change the size of your mattress after some time.
- Metal beds can have wheels to increase mobility.
- They are the best for the kids since you can paint them any color the children prefer.
Disadvantages of Metal Bed Frames
Even with the many advantages, metal bed frames also have some disadvantages which include;
- Metal is affected by temperature, so once you have a metal bed, you will have to control the temperatures in your room.
- some metal bed frames are costly compared to the wooden ones. (Source)
- Some metal bed frames do not give exquisite room elegance compared to wooden frames.
- The strength of a metal bed will depend on how well it has been welded.
- If the welding is weak, then it may not be able to accommodate a lot of weight and does not last long.
- Metal bed frames rust when they come into contact with water after their paint coating peels off.
- Big metal bed frames pose a challenge when one is renovating or shifting to another house and may require you to pay someone to help you carry the bed out of the house.
- They are not environmental friendly since recycling is difficult compared to wood bed frames.
- Metal beds tend to produce a higher creaky noise when pulling or pushing and can be uncomfortable than wooden beds.
The sound may cause disturbance to the people in the other rooms or your downstairs neighbors.
- Metal bed’s legs may cause damage to the floor when pulled or pushed; thus, you may end up incurring extra costs to repair the floor.
- Also Read on best-temporary-bed-for-guests
Wood Bed Frames
Advantages of Wood Bed Frames
- Wooden beds can be durable when well cared for. In the modern-day, most wooden beds firm and more durable than the earlier days.
- They can be moved from one room to another and can handle bruises and bumps.
- Wooden beds are less creaky compared to the metal ones. Someone sleeping in a metal bed is likely to cause a lot of creaky noise that one sleeping on a wooden bed.
Wood bed frames have many designs and come in different colors to choose from. You can re-stain to a different shade to match your evolving bedroom.
- Wood frames usually have slats running across the bed’s width to give more support.
- They are eco- friendly since they can be recycled, unlike metal frames.
- A wooden bed can be fitted with a bed, risers the legs to create more storage space under the bed.
- Wooden beds are the best if you are living in a rusty environment since they do not rust, unlike metal bed frames.
- They have a glossy touch, which keeps them shining, making them look unique.
- Wood frames can be customized to meet the needs of the customer.
- They can be designed with cabinets to keep some of your essential items, unlike metal frames, which are difficult to include cabinets.
- Wooden bed frames provide warmth that the metal beds are not able to offer.
- They usually look trendier than the metal bed frames, especially those made from oak.
Disadvantages of Wood Bed Frames
Even though wooden bed frames have many advantages, it also has some disadvantages which include;
- Some wooden beds are more costly than the metal frame beds, so you will need some extra cash to purchase.
- They are heavier compared to metal bed frames.
- They are likely to rot get eaten by pests and insects.
- When they get old, they tend to produce noise when one moves on the bed.
Check on the Quietest Bed Frames that do not squeak
Metal vs Wood Bed Frame Buyer Guide
When it comes to space, metal beds occupy less space, unlike the wooden ones. If you have limited space, go for the metal ones, but if there is a lot of space, then you can opt for the wooden ones.
In terms of bulkiness, wooden beds are more cumbersome compared to the metal ones.
If you need a bed that can be moved from one room to another, you can opt for the metal beds.
Wooden bed frames can be designed into more visually impressive styles, unlike the metal beds.
If you are looking for a bed that will bring a sense of style to your bedroom, go for the wooden ones.
Metal beds change depending on the current weather.
If it’s cold, they too become cold and change to hot when it’s hot.
Wooden bed frames, on the other hand, are not affected by weather changes, be it cold or hot.
Pests do not easily damage metal thus can last longer than the wooden ones.
They don’t easily wear out or break, increasing their useful life.
On metal vs wood bed frame
In terms of affordability, metal bed frames are the best, while wood frames are excellent when it comes to stability and comfort.
It all depends on your preferences and needs, and I hope the above guide will help you when choosing the right bed frame for you.